Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure event is the largest single day volunteer-led event dedicated to raising funds for breast cancer research AND 95% of net proceeds from our Run stay in the region they were raised in - GO OTTAWA!
This year I had the pleasure of volunteering as the Promotions Coordinator and I could not have done it without the great support from local Ottawa businesses. Many businesses were excited by the idea of "thinking pink" and in helping us promote breast cancer awareness!
The events planned for the Ottawa-Gatineau area took place from July 18 - 25, 2010 and were mostly hosted at the Hazeldean Mall.
1) The week started off with our official kick off and went right into our first event of speed networking presented by Fuchsia Factory.
2) We had free cupcake decorating for kids sponsored by Little Cakes.
3) For the young at heart, we coordinated the Hazeldean Mall Walk club to join us in walking laps around the mall - 3 laps around the mall is equal to 1km and that 15 laps is equal to 5km or the length of the Run on Oct 3.
4) We also catered to the animal lovers at the Pink wag n' walk at Bruce Pit - dog biscuits donated by Hazeldean Mall and the pink poop bags were compliments of our Co-Run Director, Paul.
5) The final weekday we had the pleasure of NDS Photography to sponsor one free 5x7 for each child that booked an appt with her at the mall - those little muchkins in pink were so cute!
6) Saturday and Sunday were information days and we heard some great stories and some not so happy ones but the message reached out to many and that's what counts for PCPW. Cupcakes for both days were donated by Chrystal's Cupcakes - yummy!
The whole week was fantastic and a real eye opener for the PCPW committee... it became much more apparent to me that breast cancer is alot more common that I had thought.
Many thanks to those special people who took time out of their personal lives to volunteer, sponsor and show their support for CBCF. I'm so lucky to be surrounded by such charitable human beings.
To find out more and see which businesses or to join our facebook page, please visit Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure - Ottawa-Gatineau. Next year will be even better as it'll be our 20th anniversary and I can't wait!
Photo courtesy of: Julie Bazinet our official CBCF CIBC Run for the Cure photographer, NDS Photography, Amna Hakim, and our other amateur photographers such as Susan Enns ;)